Design-build is a popular system for residential remodeling. It is a hands on process especially useful in the renovation of the old homes found in the Baltimore metro area. The builder/remodeler also provides the design services, works with the client on product selections, develops a cost proposal, and builds the project. There are several advantages to using a design-build system.
· Design concepts are developed from the beginning reflecting a realistic understanding of construction costs and the budget guidance established by the client. This prevents you from paying for a design that can not be reconciled with your cost and time constraints.
· The design-build process delivers the completed project much faster than traditional design and construction methods since the salesman, estimator, building designer, interior designer, project manager, and lead carpenter are all working for the same company, in the same office (in many cases, as at ADR Builders, those roles are shared between just a few people).
· Accurate pricing is available for any design change, taking into account both product and installation costs.
· Working drawings are not produced until accurate pricing is available and approved by the client. Again, saving time and money for the client.
· Construction is managed by a builder-designer, and supervised by a lead carpenter, from the same company, and on the job daily. This ensures that the drawings are interpreted properly to implement the design intent.
· The client has one point of accountability because the designer is the builder. If anything goes wrong, you know where to go to get the problem solved.
At ADR our specific method of design-build is one of the main reasons we have excelled in pleasing clients and producing superior home renovation projects for over 30 years. In the next blog will talk about some specific style homes and types of neighborhoods specific to the Baltimore area.